There are approximately 20,000 chimney fires in the U.S. every year. We often forget about the important role our chimneys play during the warm summer months, but they provide a lot of value during harsh winters. It is important to have your chimney inspected annually to ensure it is in tip top shape before you light your first fire.
These are some of the major reasons you should have an inspection done every year:
- Prevents a potential fire: One of the biggest reasons to get your chimney inspected is to help prevent a potential fire. Chimney fires are mainly caused by creosote which is a highly flammable substance that begins to stick to the chimney walls over time. This can be extremely dangerous if it is not taken care of in a timely manner. A thorough chimney cleaning will remove this substance from chimney walls.
- Keeps pesky animals out: Animals such as squirrels, birds, racoons love to hide and nest in dark safe places and chimneys fit the description perfectly. Although this is a plus for them, it is a big negative for you. These animals can create a lot of issues for your chimney. The habitats they create inside cause the chimney to be unable to vent properly which can lead to a blockage. A chimney inspection will help identify nests and possibly remove them.
- Lowers carbon monoxide risk: Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous. It is important to not only have detectors inside your home, but to also have a professional check for any trace of CO2 during your chimney inspection. Carbon monoxide can begin to build up in your chimney’s flue, giving the poisonous gas nowhere to flow out of so. Consequently, it begins to leak into your home, creating a major safety concern.
- Gets rid of any lingering odors: Chimneys can begin to give out an unpleasant odor if they are not cleaned regularly and properly. During the summer months, it is more common that you may begin to discover an odor due to the fact that the weather is warmer and more humid than usual. If you begin to smell any type of odor coming from your chimney, it is important to call a professional right away to have it inspected.
- Longer lasting chimney: Getting your chimney inspected annually can drastically extend the life of your chimney, especially if there has been any recent damage. An inspection will help save you money in the long run by allowing you to fix any issue promptly so they don’t become a larger, more expensive, fix overtime.
The peace of mind knowing that your chimney is working efficiently and you and your family are safe from any potential dangers is well worth having an annual inspection done. It is one of the major items to prepare your home for fall!