Attention Illinois Storm Victims
Rockford Mutual Insurance Company will be taking the following steps for all lines of business to accommodate customers who may have been impacted by the recent flooding. The actions below apply to policyholders and respecting affected property located in or around Cook, Kane, Lake and McHenry Counties
- Moratorium on cancellations and non-renewals. For any cancellation or non-renewal notice issued on or after July 12, 2017, on any in-force policy issued to an affected policyholder or respecting affected property, Rockford Mutual Insurance will withdraw the cancellation or non-renewal and reinstate the policy with no lapse in coverage. In addition, Rockford Mutual Insurance will not issue any new cancellation or non-renewal notices to affected policyholders or for affected property until September 30, 2017.
- Other insurance-related time period extensions. Extensions will be granted to affected policyholders for all policy provisions that impose a time limit for an insured or claimant to perform any act, including submission of a claim or proof of loss, reporting of information, submission of bills, or payment of funds.
- Time period extension for repairs. If repairs on affected property cannot be completed within the time period required under any policy or within the 90-day time period for repairs prior to termination due to condition of the property [215 ILSC 5/143.27], Rockford Mutual Insurance will provide the insured with an extension of not less than 60 days to make the repairs.
- Cancellation or non-renewal respecting affected property. Rockford Mutual Insurance will refrain from canceling or non-renewing policies respecting affected property due to “increase in the risk originally accepted” (215 ILCS 5/143.21 and 143.21.1) or due to the geographic location of the risk (215 ILCS 5/155.22).
- Other exceptions to policy/contract requirements or rating/underwriting rules. Rockford Mutual Insurance will consider exceptions to policy or contract requirements or other rating or underwriting rules not listed on this announcement when contractual requirements are not met as a result of this disaster. Exceptions to policy or contract requirements or rating or underwriting rules will include an insured’s displacement from his or her home.
Please contact your agent if you have any questions regarding your policy. The Illinois Department of Insurance is available for complaints regarding any disaster-related dispute or issue. Consumers may call the DOI’s toll-free complaint hotline at 1-866-445-5364 or file a complaint online: https://mc.insurance.illinois.gov/messagecenter.nsf